Tuesday 21 February 2012

Warrior (2011) Dir. Gavin O'Connor
PG - 13 140mins.

Warrior is simply put: Awesome! What a, for lack of a better word, awesome movie.
Long, (2hrs. 20mins.) but never feeling like it, Warrior takes place in the world of MMA fighting. I never watched wrestling as a child (my Dad would not allow it - either because of the "violence" or questionable acting, I'm not sure). So I developed little interest in UFC or MMA. I do train in Aikido myself, but that's the extent of my martial arts experience, so the authenticity of the MMA world presented in the film will have to be left to those who are more qualified than myself to judge.

 The performances are all solid. Nick Nolte, who I've only started to warm up to in recent years, gives a real heartbreaking performance as a father desperate to re-connect with two estranged sons. Tom Hardy, who's bulked up considerably since his stint as a star trek villain (Nemesis), has a quiet ferocity that he exudes with very little dialogue. The film though (IMO) is carried by Joel Edgerton. It's nearly an hour before any cage matches are seen, and yet you're so invested in Joel's character (Brendan), it doesn't feel like you're marking time waiting for a fight. Anyone who saw the trailer knows Tom and Brendan are brothers, and we know they fight, but, DAMN! watch it yourself. just awesome stuff, with a satisfying and emotional conclusion, Warrior is just, well, awesome.

Rating; Buy it

4 comments:

  1. Love the review and definitely am anxious to see the movie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. boy, you can always depend on your mom (mum)eh?
      thanks

      Delete
  2. Not my kinda movie Will but good review. And I like Mr Heston!
    I Look forward to more of the same as I am a movie nut.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You. Check out Bowling for Columbine.

      Delete